Saturday, December 10, 2011

THIS IS IT!

     It was a sound that brought me out of my deep meditation. The sound was as if of a dry branch has come under somebody’s foot, who was walking with great care. I looked at my watch and it was 03 a.m. I got worried, and came out to inquire. I saw that my tent was surrounded by armed Military men.
     This was a cool night at the Thar Desert. We were on our winter collective training. I was commanding a troop consisting of about 150 soldiers of Pakistan Army. We were deep into the desert and camping between the sand dunes near Toba (a small water source in a desert). It was a little lull period during the training. I was in command of these troops for a little less than a year.
     As per my usual routine every year, on 15th of Shabaan, the Eight month of the Islamic Calendar, on the night of “ Shabbaraat”, I ask forgiveness from all my known people i.e., my relatives, friends, colleagues etc. and then the entire night, I bow before The Creator, and ask forgiveness and Meditate the entire night.
     This was the same night when I heard that noise and came out of my tent. It was 3 a.m.
     The troops surrounding my tent were my own, headed by my second in command, a Subedar, accompanied by my Halvidar Major. On my inquiry, the Subedar told me, “Sir, we knew that you will be meditating the entire night. We all decided to guard your tent from all sides in the meanwhile, throughout the night. You don’t worry Sir, go inside and keep praying and for all for us.”
     I asked, “How many of you are here and since when?” 
     He said, “The entire company is there with full strength and fully armed. We are here since 8 p.m, when you retired in for prayers.”
     I said, “Why Subedar Sahib, why are you doing this? You and the troops should go and take rest. You all were also tired from the day’s work and need rest”. 
     He said,” Sir, we all gathered and deliberated and it was a unanimous decision from all of us that we will remain awake the whole night and guard your residence. Please don’t stop us. It’s our great pleasure to serve you.”
     My eyes filled with tears, my heart full of emotions and to hide my tears, I told them to continue and came in and bowed before my “ALLAH” and cried. I was thanking ALLAH for whatever HE has given me and particularly I thanked HIM for the love and affection which HE poured into my under command’s hearts.
     Please remember, the most difficult thing in the world is to command the hearts of the people. It is not easy but it is not that difficult also. One has to be sincere, look after them and the foremost, have fear and love of ALLAH and HE will automatically mesmerized all in your favour.

5 comments:

Jamil said...

I am impressed Durrani...I never had a doubt in your Leadership qualities. You are the man of crises. You have always been a winner in any challenging situation.
This true story of yours in the heart of desert is the proof of your leadership style. These troops we have been commanding are the best in the world,loyal,honest,hardworking, intelligent,respectful and loving. These are the people Allama Iqbal has been telling us, "Zara Num Ho To ye Muttee Baree Zarkhez Hai Saaqee".

Col Mushtaq (R) said...

Dear Durrani
No doubt in your ldrshp traits and the respect you commanded. Only one submission; as per authentic ahadiths and riwayas there is no concept as Shabey Barat. If you like I can send you the details.
Best regards

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

Jamil! Thank you Sir for your these kind words. You being my colleague for the last more than 3 decades knows much better. I love you (^_^)

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

Mushtaq! Sir I am grateful for your considerate and valued thoughts.
I agree and believe you.
However, keeping aside the BIDATH part, if we get our self forgiven by all we know for the life we have spend the last year plus if we bow before the creator for the whole night, will that not be beneficial for the life ahead. Yes, lets us not do it on the one night, let us do it daily.You know, it has been years that I formed an habit of forgiving everybody before I go to sleep every night and then pray ALLAH that HE put kindness in the hearts of others so that they also forgive me and ALLAH's forgiveness is always requested after that. Please pray that ALLAH grace us with all HIS kindness.
Thank you for your precious thoughts and the education

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

JAMIL Said......
I read something I wanted to share with you too,abut Mediation in Islam:
"A Muslim is obligated to pray five times a day: once before sunrise, at noon, in the afternoon, after sunset, and once at night. During prayer a Muslim focuses and meditates on God by reciting the Qur'an and engaging in dhikr to reaffirm and strengthen the bond between Creator and creation, with the purpose of guiding the soul to truth.[citation needed] Such meditation is intended to help maintain a feeling of spiritual peace, in the face of whatever challenges work, social or family life may present.
The five daily acts of peaceful prayer are to serve as a template and inspiration for conduct during the rest of the day, transforming it, ideally, into one single and sustained meditation: even sleep is to be regarded as but another phase of that sustained meditation.
Meditative quiescence is said to have a quality of healing, and—in contemporary terminology—enhancing creativity.[100] The Islamic prophet Muhammad spent sustained periods in contemplation and meditation. It was during one such period that Muhammad began to receive the revelations of the Qur'an.
Following are the styles, or schools, of meditation in the Muslim traditions:
Tafakkur or tadabbur, literally means reflection upon the universe: this is considered to permit access to a form of cognitive and emotional development that can emanate only from the higher level, i.e. from God. The sensation of receiving divine inspiration awakens and liberates both heart and intellect, permitting such inner growth that the apparently mundane actually takes on the quality of the infinite. Muslim teachings embrace life as a test of one's submission to God.
From: Wikipedia web site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meditation