Saturday, April 21, 2012

GOOD LUCK


           It was middle of Jun 2009 and it has been almost two years that I was without job. Those were tough days as it was very difficult to make the two ends meet. I had no source of income less my pension, which was too meager. Running the house affairs having a wife and raising four children had become a real tough task.
            One morning I saw an advertisement in the daily news paper by a multinational company announcing a vacancy of General Manager. The required qualification matched my credentials, so I applied. In few days time I received a call from their manager HR informing me that they have provisionally selected me and was asking my availability. After a little negotiation, we came to an understanding and he told me that I will be getting Rs. 150,000.00 ($ 1765) per month, a chauffeur driven brand new Toyota Corolla Car, a three bedroom rent free house, medical insurance and a limit free cell phone ceiling. But he told me that I shall have to appear before a selection Board for a formal interview. This Board will be headed by an American, who, as per him, is the Managing Director of the Company. The Manager HR also informed me that I shall remain ready as I will be called on a very short notice as the Managing Director was due to visit Pakistan within Two/ three days time.
            The very next day I received the call that I have to reach Karachi the day after for the interview. The Manager HR also said that I shall buy the Air ticket, whose charges shall be reimbursed to me on my arrival at Karachi. I accordingly managed my seat with the Airline. However, a day earlier than my departure, I received the call from the same Manager HR informing me that there was a change of program. He told me that their American Managing Director was now coming to Lahore and my interview will also be conducted there. So, I have to change my air ticket to Lahore instead of Karachi. The Manager also promised that all the charges, including cancellation charges etc will be reimbursed to me on my arrival at Lahore. So I agreed.
                With quite difficulty, I managed the rearrangement and was able to get a reservation in the air line for the next day.
                In the evening I confirmed my reservation/ arrival to the said Manger HR and he in turn told me about my detailed program. The Manager informed me that I will be received by their driver at the airport. He gave me the name and cell phone number of the driver and also informed me that the driver will be displaying my name’s ply card and a white Toyota Corolla of the latest model will be there to receive me. The Manager also gave me the registration number of the Car. He also told me that still there is a little change in the program because of the American MD. He told me that as their company intends to make a new factory at Kala Shah Kako, around half an hour distance from Lahore towards the north, so the driver will take me there for the meeting/ interview and from there, I will be dropped back to Lahore, where my stay arrangement for a night will be made. He said the rest of the details will be told to me personally on my arrival and meeting him.
                The next day I reached Lahore at around 2 p.m. I looked for the driver when I came out of the arrival Lounge but could not see him. It was a very worm afternoon of June at Lahore. The sun was blazing hot.
                I tried to call the driver on the given number but found it closed. Then I called the Manger HR. he was noticeably surprised to hear that nobody came to receive me as scheduled. He requested me few moments leave with a promise to call me back.
                He called back after a while and informed me that the driver/ car, which were to receive me, have met an accident on the Ring road. He asked me whether I can come to certain place at the middle way mean while he dispatches another car to pick me up. I refused and told him that I will wait for the vehicle at the airport. So he agreed. Twice then he rang me up again to confirm that I am still at the airport. He also asked about my whereabouts as to where am I waiting confirmed me that the replacement vehicle is on its way to pick me up.
              While I was waiting, I rang up my friend at Lahore to inform him that I am there and that by evening I shall be calling on him. My friend Mr. Rauf was part of an intelligence agency at Lahore.
              On contact, Mr. Rauf asked me the purpose of my visit and I gave him the details as to why be me there and why/ where am I waiting for the car to pick me up. He told me to immediately leave that place, to get a first available taxi and rush to his office. The alarm in his voice made me worried and without asking any further questions, I hurried out of the airport, engaged a taxi and started towards his office. While in the taxi, I receive the call from Mr. Rauf confirming whether I am out of the airport. On my confirmation, he asked me the number from whom I was getting the calls of the Manager HR. Mr Rauf also instructed me not to respond to any of their further calls. I replied in affirmation.
             On reaching Mr. Rauf’s office, I learned the horrifying facts from Mr. Rauf and thanked ALLAH for saving my life. My life was saved by a very short margin. The death kissed my cheek and fly by.
           Mr. Rauf told me that while I was on my way to his office he checked the telephone number from where the Manager HR was making the calls. The Manger HR was actually calling from Rahwali whereas; he was pretending to be calling from Lahore. Mr Rauf told me that it was a big gang of scoundrels who was working for abduction for ransom. Mr. Rauf also told me that the gang had earlier abducted 36 retired Army officers of the stature of Colonels and Majors, and after getting their life time savings, killed them and buried them at unknown places. Mr. Rauf also told me that his office was able to burst that gang a year earlier and after arresting the culprits and getting their confessions and necessary evidence, handed them over to the National Accountability Bureau (NAB). They were further handed over to the local police by NAB, on the pretext of being not their subject matter. During the course, the police released them as some big shots of police and Two sitting Ministers and some Members of National Assemble and Provincial Assembly were part of the gang and were supporting the nefarious activities and whatever hue & cry was made by the families of the victims was suppressed and nothing was allowed to come out in the press. Further, the families of the victims were threatened to keep quite or get ready to face the dire consequences.
         Mr. Rauf told me that the gang was now again operating, after a gap of a year period.
         I still thank ALLAH for saving me from this disaster and my safe return to my home back to my family.   

Posted by Zaffar Iqbal Durrani

10 comments:

shoaib said...

these are the state of affairs with the people of our country. instead of respecting and helping the soldiers of this nation, who have sacrificed there complete life to serve them,they choose to snatch those few years of there lives from them which they get to spend with there families friends and with themselves....

Jamil said...

Lucky you Durrani. You are a good man so God saved you.Alhamdu Lillah!

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

Shoaib! It is Absolutely correct.
Thank you Jamil. Yes it was ALLAH who saved me and Only ALLAH

Ali Akbar said...

Durrani you are lucky one as you had an angel in the form of Rauf. I feel pity for my those colleagues, who fell prey to these scoundrels temptations. One close relative of my ,while in UK was also contacted by this gang; who came running to become their prey. On reaching Lahore, he sought my advise and I told him not to contact them rather contact his course mate at Lahore in one of the prestigious Intelligence set up. Resultantly, he was also saved. Now you must be clear as to why these politicians want to have Intelligence agencies under their control and Media propagating about Missing Persons. Ali Akbar

Ali Akbar said...

My advise to all my colleagues, never fall prey to temptations. Have a second opinion from your trusted ones.

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

Thank you Ali Akbar for your such an helping and guiding comments. I had never any doubts about the intentions of the politicians.
You have saved not a person but a entire family and my ALLAH will reward you for it and I pray الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ for the same for all

سعید مرزا said...

Jiay BHUTTO

S A J Shirazi said...

Stay safe!

TARIQ said...

Great Escape indeed.Must you thank your stars for remaining unhurt.Thanks for sharing your story with us.It is an eye opener for everybody. But I guess it might not be true to believe that these criminals only target army officers, perhaps there aim is to loot and plunder any one who is vulnerable.GOD BLESS YOU

Zaffariqbal Durrani said...

Thank you Jamil, Saeed Mirza, Shirazi and Tariq. I am obliged.